[Pmwiki-users] discussion on line breaks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Jul 17 01:25:51 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:36:17PM -0500, John Feezell wrote:
> Or, could it be something as simple as / or + as the last character in the
> line that would be replaced with a LF.  In the probably rare event where
> the last character was a / or + then could it be escaped like \/ or \+
>
> So the effect would be
>
> some things we know we know,/
> some things we know we don't know/
> some things we wish we didn't know.

I like the slash at the end of the line, but unfortunately PmWiki already
uses the backslash at the end of the line to indicate that the newline
should be ignored, and there might be some confusion there between the
two characters.

Or perhaps it's a worthwhile confusion--slash at the end of the line
could mean forced linebreak, backslash could mean no linebreak.  Continuing
this pattern, [/.../] could surround a group of text where linebreaks
are honored, and [\...\] could surround a group of text where linebreaks
are to be ignored.

And perhaps hundreds of authors will go blind trying to discern the
difference between the two... 1/2 :-)

I'm not too keen on using [] to force breaks--somehow it just doesn't
"look" like a break to me, and part of me thinks it could occur in
normal text somehow, even though I can't come up with an example at
the moment.