[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki on Boa

Carlo Strozzi carlos
Wed Jul 30 08:37:17 CDT 2003

I'm following-up on an old thread of mine here. A few days ago I pointed
out what it turned out to be a misbehaviour in the lightweight Boa web
server (www.boa.org), whereby "Location:"-based redirection does not work.

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:04:53PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 04:18:15PM +0200, Carlo Strozzi wrote:
> > I have
> > succesfully managed to get PmWiki to work with the Boa lightweight web
> > server (http://www.boa.org) on linux, but I had to patch things a bit.
> > Namely, embedded '?' characters in the HTTP "Location:" header get
> > translated by Boa into '%3F', thus causing the client browser not to be
> > redirected.
>
> This has *got* to be a bug in the Boa server--it should not be translating
> the '?'.  The HTTP/1.1 protocol is fairly explicit that '?' is part of
> a valid http: URL, see
>    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec3.html#sec3.2.2
>
> What version of Boa are you using? From looking at the Boa source code
> it appears that in March 2002 the server was changed to not translate '?'
> into %3F.

I confirm that the '?' bug was fixed long ago, but from further testing
I came to the conclusion that "Location:"-based redirection still does
not work well with Boa, maybe for other header-related problems. However
I think it's a pity that PmWiki cannot be used with Boa, as running
Apache on small machines sometimes may be problematic. We are talking
of a 62 KB boa executable vs. a 400+ KB of a minimal apache build.
I understand that trying to work-around server bugs is outside the scope
of PmWiki, but since introducing a more fault-tolerant behaviour costs
very little effort, I attach a couple of modified files that use both
location- and html- based redirection, and that I have tested on both
boa and apache. Just look for "Carlo" in the code to spot the changes.

If you still decide not to take them on board never mind, thanks anyway
for your attention and prompt support :-)

bye,
Carlo
--
For best reading please set the Courier font.
Freedom for Business: http://swpat.ffii.org