[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki-0.5.beta1 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jun 3 13:33:52 CDT 2003

Hi, all-

I've just released pmwiki-0.5.beta1.  This release changes the
internal structure of how PmWiki generates HTML output using the various
$...Fmt variables such as $PageHeaderFmt, $PageFooterFmt, etc.  I've
increased the revision number to 0.5 to reflect the fact that these
changes could impact some existing PmWiki installations.

In particular, sites which set or modify any of the following variables
in local.php may be affected by the changes introduced in 0.5:
  - $HTMLStartFmt (previously used to specify the DOCTYPE)
  - $HTTPHeaders
  - $PageHeaderFmt, $PageTitleFmt, and $PageFooterFmt when used as
    function calls
  - $EditQuickReferencePage and $UploadQuickReferencePage

If your local.php didn't set any of the variables as listed above,
then your site will probably be unaffected by the changes being introduced
in 0.5.

The 0.5.beta series are being released to invite comments and testing
from users before officially releasing as 0.5.0.  I've already upgraded
several of my installations to 0.5.beta1 and did not run into significant
problems.  I'm hoping that the number of sites that will be negatively
affected by the changes will be minimal.  Normally I'm an extreme advocate
of maintaining upward compatibility across versions, so I apologize
if this generates some work for others.  However, I think that everyone
will find the new scheme to be much easier to work with and that it
will provide greater features and flexibility than the old one.

And, I will be extremely happy to provide help to any 0.4.x site that
wants assistance in migrating to 0.5.

More details and releases coming soon.