[Pmwiki-users] Puzzling problem

Janice Heinold heinold at falcon.tamucc.edu
Mon May 12 14:50:15 CDT 2003

I am working on adding information to a new troubleshooting section of =
the
documentation. I encountered this problem and, although I found a way =
around
it, I wanted to see if someone could shed some light on WHY this =
happened,
so I can put it in the documentation.

This is exactly what happened: I was attempting to upgrade a pmwiki
installation from v 0.4.09 to v 0.4.24. I renamed pmwiki.php to
pmwikiold.php, uploaded a new copy of pmwiki.php and loaded it in my
browser. It said: "FORBIDDEN You don't have access to ..../pmwiki.php on
this server." I renamed the new pmwiki.php to pmwikinew.php. I renamed
pmwikiold.php to pmwiki.php (which should have worked just like it did
before the upgrade). However I got the same error message when I =
reloaded
pmwiki.php. I tried restoring pmwiki.php from my old backup - v 0.4.07 - =
but
still got the same error message. I changed permissions on pmwiki.php, =
the
pmwiki folder (wikiweb2), and the wiki.d folder to 777. I deleted =
local.php
to make sure it wasn't causing any problems. Nothing worked - it always =
told
me "FORBIDDEN You don't have access to ..../pmwiki.php on this server."

My workaround was to create a new installation of v0.4.24 in a folder =
called
wikiweb3. I changed the permissions on wikiweb3 to 2777 and let =
pmwiki.php
create a new wiki.d directory. I uploaded all of my backed-up wiki pages
into the new wiki.d (which caused the file permissions problems). I =
uploaded
my local files to the local directory. Everything worked as expected.

One note: When I created wikiweb2, I didn't have command-line ssh access =
the server yet. My FTP program would only let me do a 3-digit permission =
at
the time, so I just changed the permission to 777 instead of 2777.

Soooo... When I tried to go back to my working copy of v 0.4.07 after
getting the forbidden error, why did pmwiki still not work?

By the way, Pm, THANK YOU for the help with my file permissions problem. =
The
restore script worked and I've had no complaints yet!

Janice Heinold
Multimedia Designer
Department of Publications
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi