[Pmwiki-users] secure editing website with a username password dialog box dous not work with Opera

Joe Crumpton pmwiki at crumpton.fastimap.com
Wed May 28 09:29:36 CDT 2003

> I've temporarily created a page at
> http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Main/PasswordProtected that has an
> edit password on it.  You can try loading it with Opera and see if
> you are prompted for a password.  If you're able to get to the edit
> page without having to know the password, then there's something weird
> going on and I need to do some experimentation.

I tried your PasswordProtected page with Opera 7.03 (Win95) and it worked
as
expected, the login box came up before the edit page.

My guess is that Wim has entered the edit password before in the
same browser session. I have enabled the edit password on my site
and you only have to enter it once and then you can edit as many pages
as you want without the login box popping up for every page.

How is the fact that the password has been entered correctly stored?
Is it something that IE and Opera could "share" making it appear
that the password is not needed in Opera?

JoeC