[Pmwiki-users] Proposed [[#anchor]] enhancement

John Rankin john.rankin
Mon Sep 8 23:15:47 CDT 2003

> However, since pmwiki is using [[#anchor]] to denote a
> reference, I propose that [[#anchor text]] be added to
> make it easier to write an in-page link.

Agreed--I posed this same idea to the listserv at the bottom of
http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2003-August/001183.html
but didn't get any responses.  So, I'll go ahead and add this
to the official distribution markup.

I must have dozed through that one :(

While you are in there, should you change:

<a name='$1'></a>

to: <a name='$1' id='$1'></a>

See http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

4.10. The elements with 'id' and 'name' attributes

HTML 4 defined the name attribute for the elements a, applet, form, frame, iframe, img, and map. HTML 4 also introduced the id attribute. Both of these attributes are designed to be used as fragment identifiers.

In XML, fragment identifiers are of type ID, and there can only be a single attribute of type ID per element. Therefore, in XHTML 1.0 the id attribute is defined to be of type ID. In order to ensure that XHTML 1.0 documents are well-structured XML documents, XHTML 1.0 documents MUST use the id attribute when defining fragment identifiers on the elements listed above. See the HTML Compatibility Guidelines for information on ensuring such anchors are backward compatible when serving XHTML documents as media type text/html.

Note that in XHTML 1.0, the name attribute of these elements is formally deprecated, and will be removed in a subsequent version of XHTML.
----
JR