[Pmwiki-users] Page revisions tables

Nathan Jones nathanj
Wed Sep 10 23:59:26 CDT 2003

Maxwell wrote:
>When I view Page Revisions in Internet Explorer (v6), the colored cells for added and deleted blank lines extend about 3/4 of the way into the table.

I've seen this behaviour in browsers as long as I can remember. If a
width was specified, they'd use the value as a guideline, but still
adjust the actual width depending on the amount of stuff in each cell.
Things seem a bit better these days, but even Opera does it.

Looking at the HTML spec, there's nothing to suggest that a browser
ignore a specified width, but it does say that an author should not rely
on tables for layout. For more info, see Dynamic reformatting at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#notes-tables

--
Nathan Jones