[Pmwiki-users] AdminQ2 - Problems with directory permissions on Unix server

Robin Sheat robin
Thu Apr 1 01:06:26 CST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 12:27:04PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> I don't know about PHP, UNIX, filepermissions, and all that stuff.
> All I know is scripts have to be uploaded in txt mode, and they have
> to be marked as executable (in the case of perl, or .cgi .. I think
> php doesnt' matter).  So I can't truly appreciate the extent that Pm
> has gone to to make PmWiki "safe".  I see a lot of talk about it on
> the list, so I assume the script is very safe to run.  But at the
> expense of ... ???
I'm of the opinion that anyone using a UNIX system for a server should
know about UNIX permissions. If they are wrong, bad things can happen.
In the case of PmWiki, you don't have to worry about executable
permissions, but you do have to have the read/write access appropriate
to your system (which can depend how the server is set out, eg in my
case the files are owned by me, and are of the webservers group, and all
the files are user and group read/writable)

Did you have a look at PmWiki/ResettingPagePermissions on your local
PmWiki server (linked to from the 'Troubleshooting' page)

--
Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz>                 JabberID: <eythian at jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0x776DB663 Fingerprint=DD10 5C62 1E29 A385 9866 0853 CD38 E07A 776D B663