[Pmwiki-users] Hack Request or Permissions Help

Steven Leite steven_leite
Thu Apr 8 00:05:05 CDT 2004

Hello all your php programmers/hackers out there ...

I'd be interested in a hack / add-on that loosen's the current PmWiki
security settings for read/write access to the wiki.d directory.  Either
before, during or after the initial installation.  See my reasons for this
(below).

I know I kow .. security, blah blah blah .. :-)

I know this may pose serious security issues.  Please feel free to clearly
state what they might be, as I don't fully appreciate or understand the
ramifications to what I'm proposing, but I do know it's probably not a good
idea.

Having said that, I'd still like to proceed.

Here's my reasons:

1) I had a heck of a time with first-time installation on a unix box.  The
security permissions for the directory were a big head-ache for me.  I'd
like to change that for future installs.

2)  I do a lot of my editing off-line.  So I create pages on my windows box.
Then after some time, I bulk-upload new or updated pages to my unix server
with my ftp client.  Problem:  permission denied.  This is the strangest
thing.  How can permission be denied to a directory that I should have full
access to?  I suspect it's something in the way that Pmwiki created the
directory in the first place, or perhaps it has something to do with the
modified fixpermissions.php script that I had to run in order to get my
initial install to work.  Either way, bottom line is, I can't even upload a
file.

It's just plain annoying.

So, that's the reason for my request.  I hope somebody can help, because I
have a whole wack of files that I'd really like to upload, and I don't feel
like cutting-and-pasting each one to it's appropriate counter-part page on
my unix server.

Thanks!

-S