[Pmwiki-users] simultaneous edit corruption?

Steven Leite steven_leite
Thu Apr 8 00:26:15 CDT 2004

> does pmwiki support protecting
> multiple folks from editing the
> same page and corrupting the
> other person's edits?
>
> for example, open two browsers.
> in browser A, click edit to edit
> a page.  a little bit later, in browser
> B, click edit, make changes, then
> commit.  some time later still, edit
> and commit changes for A.
>
> it appears that B's changes will
> be lost?
>
> any way to protect against this?
>
> could we place a timestamp in
> the edit page when that page is
> served and when that page is
> commited, look at the timestamp --
> if it is later than the last modified time
> of the page, then abort it.

I'm not sure on the details, but I do know this has been a long debated and
talked about topic.  To my knowledge, there is no protection, or if there
is, it's not very reliable.  Don't take my word on that though, I'm not
certain on it.

What I am certain about though is that this should be high on the
development list.  I think it's pretty important.  I know other wiki's have
this feature, so I'm not sure why PmWiki doesn't (or does it?).

-S