[Pmwiki-users] Brainstorm (Page Locks)

Eric Celeste efc
Thu Apr 8 10:21:32 CDT 2004

> When a user click on Edit Page, the page get's locked (so nobody else can edit
> it). ...
> ... instead of giving an error message during a
> page lock, you can say "Sorry, $Author is currently editing that page.  Try
> again after x minutes".

I wonder if this could not be even simpler. Wiki seems to be a very open
world and PmWiki stresses simplicity. I guess this puts me in the "just
issue a warning" camp.

Instead of blocking the edit, just say "Warning, $Author is currently
editing this page. If you continue to edit this page you may overwrite
changes $Author is making." This message could be supplied above the edit
textfield (much like the "please include your author name" message when that
is required). That message could even be customizable (just like the
required author message) so you could make it more forceful if you like
("Please DO NOT EDIT THIS PAGE RIGHT NOW!").

This could be combined with Pm's proposal at...

http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users_pmichaud.com/2004-January/002215.
html

...so that both users might get the appropriate warnings.

Again, in the interest of simplicity I would vote that overwrites be
allowed. There are all sorts of reasons an overwrite would be the legitimate
course of action and the ability to manually rollback from page history
seems to cover the cases where it was ill advised. After all, at least if
both version end up in page history, some copy-pasting to merge would be
facilitated.

...Eric