[Pmwiki-users] pmWiki and safe mode

Steve Taylor steve
Wed Aug 11 13:15:19 CDT 2004

Hi,

Just joined the list, I'm trying to get my first Wiki going. I chose pmWiki
as it seemed simplest, but, through a combination of my host's setup and my
inexperience with Apache/PHP, I'm a bit stuck.

The root of the problem seems to be my host having PHP Safe Mode on. I found
this page

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PhpSafeMode

and I'm going to ask my hosts about possibly getting safe_mode_gid turned on
- looks like the simplest solution, if they assent. I just wanted to ask
people here:

- What's the level of security risk for Solution #1 (setting wiki.d to 777)?
I might try this if it's not a big risk. The site I'm setting up isn't
"mission critical" - it's a knowledge base for people studying Hindu tantric
texts - but obviously the data needs to be generally safe. Also, for now,
it'll be on a dedicated domain which won't be publicised, and will be
password-protected from the root down over the web, i.e. no public traffic.
I don't know if these factors are relevant in terms of the security risk of
the wiki.d solution.

- If my hosts come back with a blanket, "Sorry, we can't turn safe_mode_gid
on" (as I guess they will) - is this reasonable of them? It's hard to argue
against something when you don't know the pros and cons!

Any hints welcome!

Steve