[Pmwiki-users] Recording of IP-Addresses

Neil Herber nospam
Sat Dec 11 07:18:11 CST 2004

At 2004-12-11  06:15 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:45:47AM +0100, Nils Knappmeier wrote:
> > That reminds me: Is there an easy way to turn that recording of IP
> > addresses.
>
>I agree with Joachim's later post that the IP address is likely to
>be recorded anyway in server logs; still, if you just don't want PmWiki
>to be storing this information, you can put the following in config.php:
>
>    $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = 'suppressed';
>
>This will store 'suppressed' as the IP address for each edit instead
>of the author's IP address.  Of course, you can changed 'suppressed' to
>be whatever string you want.

This sounds like an easy way to handle both camps: people like me who
always want the IP visible and those who don't even want it recorded (by
PmWiki). Why not make recording and displaying the IP the default with this
small entry commented out in sample-config.php for those who want to
suppress IPs.

On a more practical level, people who are concerned about being traced by
IP (and I can see where such concerns arise) should be using proxies that
mask the originating IP. Mind you, the proxies will probably be logging the
true IP.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/