[Pmwiki-users] Internationalization file available

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Dec 13 20:00:29 CST 2004

This is just a quick note that PmWiki's internationalization (i18n) file
is once again available at http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/i18n.zip
and http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/i18n.tgz.  This file now contains
the updated prompts and code for PmWiki v2 based on the i18n pages
at pmwiki.org.

If anyone needs a version of this file for PmWiki 1.0.x I can create
one, although many of the i18n documentation pages were badly spammed in
November and haven't been cleaned up.

Not all of the language XLPage files from v1 have been migrated into the
v2 site -- I'm working on it as I get time.  However, if anyone has an
interest in a particular language, let me know and I'll make the
extra effort to migrate the translation sooner rather than later (or
else find someone who can).

As before, people are welcome to create pages for translating into
other languages -- simply create an XLPage in a WikiGroup titled
PmWikiXX, where 'XX' is the ISO-639 two-letter language code (e.g.,
"Fr" for French, "De" for German, "Sv" for Swedish, etc.).
The full list of ISO-639 language codes is available from
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm .

For each language we support it'd be nice to have an XLPage and a
translation of the "default PmWiki text".  For example, the ISO-639
code for Greek is "EL", so the translation page with Greek prompts
would be at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiEl/XLPage, and a short
introduction to PmWiki would go in http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiEl/PmWikiEl.
To make things easier for potential translators, pmwiki.org automatically
populates empty XLPages and language WikiGroup home pages with a
text template of the suggested contents for those pages.  Any decisions
about other pages or content in a language's WikiGroup are really
left up to the people who supply the effort of translating things.  :-)

Thanks!