[Pmwiki-users] Handling unsupported functions (getrusage, crypt) AND Password never accepted

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Dec 18 15:07:10 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 07:02:41PM -0600, Michael Harris wrote:
>    Topic 1: Handling Unsupported Functions (getrusage, crypt)
>    GETRUSAGE:
>
>    pmwiki.php was abending on the
>        if (function_exists('getrusage') && ($dat=getrusage())) {
>    line  in  function StopWatch.  This was presumably due to 1) getrusage
>    not  being  supported  and  2)  the  PHP  processor not evaluating the
>    complex conditional expression left-to-right (as it should?).

I find it totally bizarre that PHP (or at least your version of it)
didn't short-circuit the expression as it should.  Anyway, it's
funny you should mention it as I just revised the StopWatch function
on Thursday in a way that would alleviate this particular problem
(it'll appear in the next release).

>    CRYPT:
>    This was presumably due to 1) crypt not being supported and
>    2) lack of checking for not being supported.

This is another of those situations where it must be something unique
to the PHP configuration you're using, as the crypt() function has been
available since PHP 3.  Anyway, the easier workaround here it to
provide a custom crypt() as I outlined in my earlier email.

>    Topic 2: Password Never Accepted
>
>    Perhaps related to the crypt discussion above.....

Definitely related to the problem with crypt -- without crypt,
PmWiki doesn't have any way to encode/store/compare its passwords.