[Pmwiki-users] spam attack

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Dec 21 21:51:48 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 03:40:17AM +0100, Frieder Hirsch wrote:
> Actually we discuss the following proposal to prevent wiki-SPAM (I actually
> don?t remember who published this "public-password" idea the first time.):
> 1. All wiki-sites are protected by an edit-password
> 2. This password is published ( perhaps near by edit-command?), perhaps as a
> picture.
> [...]
> As far as I know is it difficult for software skripts to read letters in form
> of a "password.png" , not to say to edit a password-input field.

I'm not sure how much of the spam is coming from automated scripts, and
how much is coming from humans who would be able to easily circumvent it.
My feeling is that a fair amount of the spam I'm getting on pmwiki.org
is coming from human editors and not from scripts... although I could
easily be wrong about this.  At any rate, the approach described above
really only stops the automated spam -- human generated spam can still
(easily) get through.