[Pmwiki-users] rss-feed

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Dec 31 09:52:58 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 05:41:53PM +0100, Philipp H?gelmeyer wrote:

> Am 31.12.2004 um 15:55 schrieb Patrick R. Michaud:
>
> >In general HTML character entities cause problems for RSS feeds and
> >there's not a clean workaround.  I'm to the point where I may simply
> >have to hardcode a table of character entity names and their
> >replacements,
> >as there doesn't seem to be an automated mechanism for doing it.  :-(
> >

> I fixed the date format and some other stuff and now in validates
> (rss1.0 & rss2.0) and works in the news readers, that I use (sage &
> newsfire).
>
> I also started a table of character entities, feel free to complete it.

To start I'm planning to use the entities defined in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent and
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-special.ent .  Any &-encoded
entity that isn't defined will then be converted to a space or something
like that.

It just seems a shame that RSS/RDF doesn't have a way to reference these
external entity definitions directly, rather than having to write code
to process and reproduce them in every RSS/RDF document that uses them.