[Pmwiki-users] Author tracking questions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Feb 1 12:37:34 CST 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 12:23:11AM +0100, Jean-Claude wrote:

> 1/ Is there a way to *oblige* the writer to fill in the box before PmWiki can
> save the page? At least to remind forgetting editors to give a name (or
> an alias if they want to cheat ;-)

What should PmWiki do if someone doesn't fill in the author field--should
it return them to the edit page with a note of some sort that the author
field is required?  (Of course this would need to be optional.)

> 2/ Is the variable you use for writing this Author name available to
> the webmaster: I'd like to include something along this line in my
> GroupFooter: last edited by *[[$AuthorName]]* at [[$LastModifiedHost]]

Actually, for now I've done [[$LastModifiedBy]], to remain
consistent with [[$LastModified]] and [[$LastModifiedHost]].
But I'm open to other suggestions.

PmWiki internally sets the $Author global variable to be the name of the
person currently editing/browsing pages.

If anyone truly disagrees with $Author instead of something like
$User (to identify the person on the end of the browser) then let me know.
I chose $Author to continue the "favor-writers-over-readers" principle and
reinforce the idea that the people behind the browsers are writers and
not simply passive viewers.