[Pmwiki-users] Re: Authors/Users WikiGroup?

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 3 09:19:23 CST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, John Feezell wrote:

> Contributors is a little long in my opinion.  Since wikis are a "new"
> environment for sharing and collaboration, how about creating a
> new term?  Here is one I created?  Anyone else have one?
>
> Wikior: one who authors or contributes to wiki pages.
>
> Wikior/{{Scott}} says that Wikior/{{pm}} is allowed
> to do what Pm wants ala Larry Wall.

It's not bad... but the word is actually not new :-) Googling
shows that it has been used at least once in Swedish, where 'Wikior' is
the plural form of 'Wiki'.  As a Swede I can see how the conjugation
goes from

    Form	  English example
    'wiki' 	= a wiki		singular, unspecfied
    'wikin'	= the wiki		singular, specified
    'wikior'	= several wikis		plural, unspecified
    'wikiorna'	= these wikis		plural, specified

I guess a case could be made for:
    wiki
    wikin
    wikis
    wikisarna
but it's not as consistent with Swedish...

However, following standard Swedish rules of changing a noun into 'user of
that noun', I could say that a 'wikiare' is a person who uses a wiki. We
would then have:

    wikiare	= a wiki user
    wikiaren	= the wiki user
    wikiare	= several wiki users
    wikiarna    = the wiki users

Well, this should be enough off-topic for a while :-)

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr