[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: signature (--username) markup

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 3 15:41:16 CST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:42:41PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > >
> > > Finally, no matter what markup we choose, I'll probably come up with
> > > shortcuts for inserting an author's signature into the text.
> >
> > That's a good point. It's trivial defining a function such as
> > `pmwiki-insert-signature' that does this... I'll just go ahead and do
> > that... (then it's just a tiny modification later on when we have a final
> > default choice of 'Profiles/', 'Names/' or whatever)
>
> Except that I think a signature markup, if we adopt one, should be
> group-agnostic from a markup perspective.  In other words, the
> markup for a signature should remain the same regardless of what
> group the user's information is stored in.

You went religous and lost me there... here's what I wrote down on my
page for new ideas for pmwiki-modes:

!!!Add a function `pmwiki-signature' that inserts a signature.
The keyboard shortcut @@C-c C-i@@ will insert what's in the variable
`pmwiki-signature-fmt' (default value is: "— Profiles/{{%s}}"
where %s will be replaced with the value of `pmwiki-signature-name')

Now that you know what I meant, maybe you can explain what you meant :-)

Hmm... reading it again (well, a third time), maybe what you mean
translates into a default value of `pmwiki-signature-fmt' as follows:

	"— [[$ProfileGroup]]/{{%s}}"

?

> So far 'Profiles/' has my strongest support, because those pages may
> eventually be used to store user preference and profile information.

I'm also rooting for 'Profiles/' (maybe I should say "at the moment").

/Christian

PS. Off-topci: The quoting of 'Profiles/' just reminded me of what
happened this afternoon. I got a mail from a friend with a weird looking
signature (some of the lines had '> ' prepended). As I mentioned that, I
also suggested that he added '-- ' as a signature separation line.

After some confusion where he thought that adding '-- ' would somehow fix
the '> ' in his signature, I finally got him focused on adding '-- '.
So now what was the problem? Well, he was being too literal, i.e. when I
told him to add '-- ', he added '-- ', i.e.:

	'-- '
	> John Doe
	Big company
	> Fax: 77373773