[Pmwiki-users] Re: More blue skye stuff...

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 3 16:08:48 CST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:25:01PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > !!Math for wikipages
> >
> > I think the math editor in LyX is awesome, and in the end I was actually
> > doing quite a bit of vector algegra using LyX for jotting down results
> > (rather than using paper and pen...)  Anyway, I think it'd be really cool
> > if we could make writing math on a wikipage as easy as writing normal
> > text. However, I can't imagine "normal" people writing something that
> > looks like LaTeX as wiki markup, so a tool is needed.
>
> Actually, a lot of people are quite comfortable with the math markup
> in TeX and LaTeX.  A lot of my math colleagues at the university have
> asked for this feature, and the Wikipedia has an implementation that
> isn't too hairy.

I suspected that .-) ... with "normal" people I was thinking more of high
school students, or windows users ;-)

I unfortunately also suspect that there is a smaller percentage of people
using TeX/LaTeX for writing these days, so the base of people versed in
this syntax will decrease, relatively speaking.

> The tricky part is making sure you have TeX available on the system
> to be able to typeset the equations, and then a way to convert them to
> images, MathML, or some other way of displaying them.

Do you mean on the server?

/Christian

PS. Actually, I probably couldn't write any significant math using pure
TeX/LaTeX, i.e. without using LyX.