[Pmwiki-users] latest news on the math front

Christian Ridderström chr
Fri Feb 6 10:11:14 CST 2004

It's working pretty well, here's a test area:

   http://www.lyx.org/~chr/wiki/pmwiki.php?pagename=MathTest.MathTest

The main problem now is making the latex code safe. Right now it's done by
not allowing certain keywords such as \input, \write, \read etc. Other
than that it's usuable, although not documented :-)

I've also added a directive [[mimetex: x = y ]] that doesn't use
latex/dvipng, but a very small tool called mimetex which produces gifs.
The advantage with that tool is that latex doesn't have to be installed.

So from the point of view of what's required by the server, there are two
alternatives:
* mimetex (just 3-4 C-files, not even a makefile!)
* latex and dvipng

Unfortunately the interest for using this on the lyx wiki is low, so I'd
like to hand it over to someone else. (I'm working on a few other pmwiki
projects that will be of use for the lyx wiki, so I'm giving them prioriy)

The code can be found here:

	http://www.lyx.org/~chr/wiki/local/public

and the interesting files are:

	Math.php	- The php-code obviously...
	latex-to-png.sh	- Script that calls latex (or mimetex).

Any takers? (I'll be happy to help and answer questions of course) If not,
I can just file this somewhere in the development area for the future.

/Christian