[Pmwiki-users] more --signature markup thoughts

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Feb 9 01:06:57 CST 2004

An update on the signature markup saga...

After looking at many of the pages in the beta site, it seemed pretty
obvious to me that the "natural" form for a signature was "--username"
at the end of a line, and so I went ahead and set things up that way
in 0.6.beta5 and 0.6.beta6...but it doesn't work well.  The pattern
I used was

   (^|\s)--\s?[[:alpha:]][-\w\s]+\W*$

and this pattern likes to catch lots of lines where an author has
entered a dash (--) into normal text--this paragraph contains an
excellent example of doing just that.  In the few pages I looked at
there were a number of ?-links displayed from the pattern incorrectly
assuming a signature where none was intended.

The problem is that the pattern is a little too permissive if it allows
arbitrary names (words) with spaces follow.  Thus, we'll likely have to be
a bit more restrictive somehow.  Ideas:
  1. require "--" to be followed by a single capitalized word at the
     end of a line; allows "--Pm" and "--JohnDoe" but not
     "--Patrick Michaud" or --johnny
  2. Don't create ?-links on signatures that don't exist (thus losing
     the invitation and easy link to create the profile)
  3. Adopt some other markup for signatures, such as
       ~~username
       --/username
       [[~username]]
       {{--username}}
       --username--
  4. Some combination of the above
  5. Something we haven't thought of yet
  6. Just stick with the normal markup rules as in "--Profiles/UserName"

Ideas?