[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: more --signature markup thoughts

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 10 08:56:35 CST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:37:31PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr??m wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> > >
> > > Given that we're really just talking about a short-hand way to say
> > > Profiles/{{signature}}, I like #5 best.
> >
> > I prefer #4 over #5 simply because I feel less worried about false
> > positives And we already expect things witin {{...}} to become links, but
> > we aren't expecting a single character in front to completely change this
> > behaviour.
> >
> > Of course, writing that, I realize that putting '/' or a '.' can change
> > the interpretation drastically (e.g. Group/{{bla bla}}). OTOH, I've never
> > quite understood the reason for putting the group outside.
> >
> > Scott, could you give a reason for why you'd prefer #5?
>
> Consistency.

Ok, so hypothetically speaking, if we'd been writing {{Profiles/Foo}}
instead of Profiles/{{Foo}}, you'd preferred {{~Foo}}?

Btw, I happen to feel that putting the group outside of the {{..}} is
inconsistent, so for me using that as motivation is sort of like arguing
that two wrongs make a right, but that's a totally different issue.

> Also, I get the feeling that {{~foo}} may actually confuse some people
> into thinking that there is some relation to unix accounts when there
> is not.

Hmm.. I can't honestly see that... I've always associated ~foo with a home
directory rather than the actual account. It'd be 'foo' that's the account
in my mind.

/Christian