[Pmwiki-users] Editing long pages

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sat Feb 14 20:39:09 CST 2004

>> the page, I didn't find the question anymore, because the page was so
>> long. Unfortunately, Mozilla doesn't allow to search for a word
>> inside a textarea (at least, it didn't do it for me).
>> So, I had to go back and search for the word on the page, remember the
>> context and edit it again, then look for the question and write an
answer.

> Actually, the FAQ page that is there now is still just a first draft.
> I think it could definitely benefit from some refactoring to divide the
> questions into separate pages

I think it's just a question of content / information management.  A good
rule of thumb is, when a page goes beyond 5-8 category's (headings), it
might (might) be a good idea to re-organize.  You can often generalize
several existing categories to fit under one category.  Then you can create
a new page with a new index of topics (if necessary) containing those
categories.

The existing FAQ is somewhat categorized, but there are no new pages.
Existing categories are:

Miscellaneous
Markup Questions
Administrative Questions
Recently Added Questions
Questions related to Instllating Pmwiki

There are also some nasty Categories that should be removed, like New
Questions, and Miscellaneous!  There is no such thing as Miscellaneous ..
Miscellaneous just means I'm too lazy to find or think of an appropriate
category, so I'll just stuff it here!  :-)

I updated the entire FAQ section.  I didnt' have time to do it all because
I'm in a remote location where I pay by the minute for Internet access!)
The {{FAQ Admin}} section could use some further work.  I hope that helps.

--S