[Pmwiki-users] Re: Getting rid of the group 'Main'

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Feb 17 20:21:09 CST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 02:55:53AM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > I'd like to get rid of all references to the group 'Main' --- guess I use
> > 'Site' for most purposes that are generic for the site, and 'LyX' for
> > things specific to what the site is about (i.e. LyX).
>
> I've never liked the group name "Main" either, but I've never seen
> an alternative that I thought was substantially better.  To me,
> when PmWiki is first installed there needs to be a default group
> (something other than PmWiki/) where pages get installed, and it needs
> to have a fairly generic name.

I just realized that you probably mean "where [new] pages get installed",
i.e. it's much easier for the admin/user if there already is a group
where he can just start creating new pages and adding content.

We could call this group 'Generic' ;-)  Ok, that wasn't really serious and
'Default' is only slightly better as a group name. I guess from this POV
'Main' isn't so bad -- it's definitely bland and non-descript :-)

> For a new admin it's a lot nicer to start with a few pages in place to
> point the way to get things started, and it's good if new pages that are
> being created are being created somewhere other than the PmWiki group.

To avoid conflicts between future pages in the PmWiki group that might
appear when he upgrades his installation.

Here's a thought: What if pages such as Main.HomePage etc are only created
if this is a brand new installation, and not when you simply upgrade?

To implement this, we could simply have a few pages in the PmWiki group
that are copied to wiki.d/ if it's a fresh installation. These pages could
be called something like:

	PmWiki.DefaultHomePage
	PmWiki.DefaultWikiSandbox
	PmWiki.DefaultSearchWiki

or

	PmWiki.InitialHomePage
	PmWiki.InitialWikiSandbox
	PmWiki.InitialSearchWiki

I guess I wouldn't mind having the group Main in a fresh installation
as long as I can get rid of it and it doesn't come back when I upgrade.

/Christian