[Pmwiki-users] Documentation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Feb 18 15:41:36 CST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 05:23:47PM -0500, Dave Noonan wrote:

>    In that vein I'd be happy enough with a list of variables and maybe
> an explanation of their naming scheme. That should give us enough to at
> least write up brief (one line?) descriptions of them.

Actually, this is already built-in to PmWiki, although I just need
to flesh it out.  Have you ever noticed that PmWiki doesn't convert
WikiWords that follow a '$' sign?  The reason is that I've already
got preliminary support such that variable names in the PmWiki docs
automatically will become links to pages describing the purpose/use of
that variable.  I just need to complete that particular section of
code.  :-)

>    As for organization it bugs me that the documentation isn't it's own
> group (say, PmWikiDocs?).  I'm contstantly looking for it and then
> remembering it's in the PmWiki group. I can't see moving what's already
> there just for the sake of change. Maybe if we start a whole
> re-org/expansion of the docs? This would leave PmWiki as the rah
> rah/sales/introduction group.  Oooh... I'd be able to search
> PmWikiDocs/* and not get all the fluff!

Some other ideas: add a search term that only appears in the
documentation pages ("DocumentationIndex" comes to mind).  We could
also add a special search term (such as "PmWikiDocs") as a comment
markup in each documentation page.

>    Speaking of fluff... Of the 168 pages in pmichaud.com/PmWiki quite a
> few are random things that people have thrown up there.  I don't care
> about that on my site but yours is the 'official' site. I wouldn't mind
> if it was in the playground (great idea, Christian) but it's in the
> middle of the 'official' documentation.  Maybe I'm just being a stick in
> the mud.

Not really, yesterday morning I started to go through the PmWiki official
site and clean up the fluff, but then decided my time was better spent
doing things that directly led to the 0.6 release and that I could work
on cleaning up the fluff afterwards.  I'm planning to do that soon.

> I think we just need to work on getting info that comes out in
> pmwiki-users on the web page and maybe on a little more organization.

Agreed fully.  We're working on the mail-to-wiki gateway (Tom
Hoover has already prototyped one) to make it easier to get information
from pmwiki-users onto the site, and organization just takes time
and creativity.