[Pmwiki-users] Re: "templating" or how to layout PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Feb 21 06:50:41 CST 2004

Steven Leite wrote:
> I don't think re-designing PmWiki to accomodate us is an option, so I think
> instead we need to write some simple template tutorials.

Completely false on the first point--redesigning PmWiki's layout to
accommodate something like this is very much an option.  I definitely
want to make things as easy as possible for people to design their own
layouts.

But at some point instead of hearing "the current layout is too difficult",
I need proposals with examples that show a method that would be easier.
The examples don't have to actually work--I can fix that--they just need
to show an approach by which it could be done.  And the examples will
give me a chance to point out some of the difficulties (although I think
you will find many of the difficulties when building them).

Currently PmWiki has three methods for layout customization:
 1.  One can do a section-oriented layout (wikilogo, wikihead, wikifoot,
     etc.) with $PageLayoutFmt and $PageSkin.
 2.  One can do a variable-based layout using $PageHeaderFmt, $PageFooterFmt,
     $PageTitleFmt, etc.
 3.  One can override the whole thing using $HandleBrowseFmt, $HandleEditFmt,
     etc.

I really don't mind adding a fourth option to the mix if it's easier for a
large number of folks.