[Pmwiki-users] Skins

Bob Dively dive
Sat Feb 21 20:00:27 CST 2004

Patrick R. Michaud said:

> Below is my conception of what the PmWiki default template would
> look like if we followed something along the lines of what Steven
> has suggested.  Some general comments about the format of the template
> file:

This is much closer to what people are thinking when they talk about a
skin/template system. It definitely makes it easier for designers to do
their thing without lots and lots of help from a programmer.

>  This might cause problems if someone really wants to
> display a dollar sign in the HTML output, although one can always use
> "$"  for that.

Or maybe escape the $ with another $, so that $$ is evaluated the same way
$VarName is?

>  - <!--PageHeaderFmt-->, <!--PageFooterFmt-->

I would suggest that these items be treated just like any other variable
if possible, i.e., $PageHeaderFmt, etc. Why introduce another form of
markup? Of course, reading further it's clear that there will still need
to be some other markup for includes, etc., so maybe my point is
unnecessary.

> <!--wiki:Foo.PageName--> substitutes the contents of Foo.PageName
> at that point.  The page name can be parameterized as well,
> thus <!--wiki:$Group.PageName--> substitutes PageName from the
> current group. <!--file:filename.php--> includes the contents of
> filename.php

> Let me know if you think this is an easier way to specify layouts.

Yes, much easier, particularly for non-programmer folk.

-b