[Pmwiki-users] Re: Skins

Christian Ridderström chr
Sun Feb 22 13:40:24 CST 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>  - "$VarName" in the template causes the value of $VarName to be substituted at
>    that point.  This might cause problems if someone really wants to display
>    a dollar sign in the HTML output, although one can always use "$"
>    for that.
>  - "$[some string]" is an internationalized string.  Thus "$[Edit page]"
>    is substituted with the translation of "Edit page" if one exists.

This will probably not be very popular, but I'd like to suggest that we
only use '$[some string]', thereby forcing compability with people who
want to internationalize an installation.  (Although I may have
misunderstood the the purpose of the $VarName substitution above, i.e.
maybe it's not allowed to be plain text output?)

> Let me know if you think this is an easier way to specify layouts.  Note
> that since the template file is NOT a .php file, it can easily go
> in the pub/skins directory instead of local/, along with any associated
> css and graphics files.

Um, could you explain why it's bad to have the .php file in pub/?
(consequently why it's probably bad that I show the contents of all my
.php files when I describe how my site is configured)

/Christian