[Pmwiki-users] intuitive learning

Nathan Jones nathanj
Tue Feb 24 17:53:49 CST 2004

Nils Knappmeier wrote:
>To come to the point: How would it be to have the QuickReference
>randomly generated.

This is a nice idea that someone may want to create as a Cookbook script.
I'd think the default should still be to show EditQuickReference with
just basic stuff. This is useful for new editors and people who haven't
edited for a while.

Tips help you further your knowledge of what can be done [1], but when
you're editing, you generally want to achieve a particular result, so you
really still need easy access to the basics, plus links to documentation
that can help you do what you want.

Perhaps such a script (random tip generator) could -add- a random tip,
rather than replace the quick reference. Some people may want to use the
script for other things too. Eg: "fortune" style messages, or a set of
tips to impart knowledge about the community/area that the wiki serves.

>or  "Did you know that you can delete pages by just...?"
>   (How does this actually work? I didn't know that was possible.)

Deleting pages? You Edit Page, then remove all the contents and type in a
keyword (default is "delete"). The file in wiki.d is then renamed, so it
still exists in case an admin needs to restore it.

--
Nathan Jones (just commenting, but not actually doing anything useful!)

[1] Tidbits of info are a good way to learn. Programs have been created
to give doctors small, timely pieces of info about medicines they are
prescribing and conditions they are diagnosing. This has proved to be
better than simply expecting doctors will read (and retain for quick
recall) all the full length documents about such things.