[Pmwiki-users] Suggestions for [[<<]] replacement.

Christian Ridderström chr
Sun Jan 4 20:38:54 CST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, John Feezell wrote:

> Some thoughts on a replacement for [[<<]].
> My suggestion:
>
>    :NL  for a new line to be replaced with <br />

About related markup for new line/paragaph.

Isn't two or more line break characters (i.e. "\n") also sort of a
markup for a new paragraph? E.g.

    - "text \n more text" is rendered as one paragraph
    - "text \n\n text" is rendered as two paragraphs.

Below is an explanation of a similar thing that I took from an explanation
of how LaTeX treats white space (WS). It would be interesting if Pm could
comment on how this compares to PmWiki:

a) "White space" characters (i.e. space and tab) tab are treated uniformly
   as 'space' (i.e. both space and tab are white space characters).

b) Several consecutive WS characters are treated as one space.

c) WS at the start of a line is ignored.

d) A single line break is treated as WS.

e) An empty line between two lines of text defines end of paragraph.

e) Several empty lines are treated the same as one empty line.

How this is different from PmWiki-markup:
c) WS at the start of a line is the markup for <pre>?
d) a line break ends the current 'paragraph style'
anything I've missed?

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr