[Pmwiki-users] How about ...? [child of: Suggestions for [[<<]] replacement.]

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Jan 5 10:35:08 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:17:25AM -0600, John Feezell wrote:
> Perhaps we should open a PmWikiPage for documentation, discussion of how
> PmWiki markup relates to HTML4.1 and XHTML1.0 etc.  Seems this might be
> helpful for Pm and I know it would be helpful for me.
> We could cut and paste from the list discussions "key ideas" that would
> benefit from being placed in a commom location.

I think having a page that documents the mappings between PmWiki's
markup and XHTML would be quite useful.

Here's a few other responses to the discussion thread...

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:15:50 +0100 (CET), Christian Ridderstr?m
>
>While reading up on this subject, I encountered the notion of elements
>that are 'inline' (e.g. <I>..</I> and <BR>), and elements that are
>considered 'block-level' (e.g. <P>..</P> and <H3>..</H3>) etc. See
>	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.5.3

I've never particularly liked HTML or XHTML's distinctions between
"inline" and "block level" elements, at least from an authoring perspective.
I do know how it's somewhat useful from a programming perspective.
But particularly troubling to me is the notion that a paragraph (represented
by the <p> element) cannot contain lists of any sort--the only way to achieve
it is to break it up into multiple paragraphs.

>In this case, the <P>-element is block-level and may only contain inline
>elements. I assume this means that as soon as we write something in a
>paragraph that's a block-level element, we have implicitly ended the
>paragraph?

In HTML, yes, but in XHTML you can't have any "assumed endings" for
block-level elements--the closing </p> tag must be present or it's not
a valid XHTML document and many browsers will reject it with an error
message.