[Pmwiki-users] Markup...

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Jan 12 10:39:18 CST 2004

On 12 Jan 2004, John Rankin wrote:

> Well, since I (for some reason) have been using
>
> 	::Text
>
> instead of
>
> 	: :Text
>
> to indent my stuff I'm quite used to escaping the colons. Maybe
>
> 	::Text
>
> should just be interpreted as normal text? (Thereby forcing the user to
> add the space).

---

> I use a local customisation that:
>
> - looks for
>
>    ::or more colons starting a paragraph that otherwise contains no colons
>
> - turns it into
>
>    : :starting a paragraph...
>
> - turns
>
>    : :starting a paragraph...
>
> into the
>
>    ->indent start of line markup
>
> and then turn this into blockquotes.
>
> Works for multiple start of line colons.

Ok... now I have to ask: Is there a difference between:

	::Some text

and
	: :Some text

I thought they produced the same output? Or maybe the question should be:
Why does "::Some text" work at all as it is now?

This page:
 http://www.lyx.org/~chr/attachlist/pmwiki.php?pagename=Test.ColonMarkup
with this markup:
	::Colons without space
	: :Colons with space

	Some text in between

	::Colons without space

	More text in between

	: :Colons with space

produces this HTML (I've reformatted it)

	<dl >
		<dt></dt>
			<dd>Colons without space</dd>
		<dt> </dt>
	</dl>
	Some text in between
	<dl >
	<dt></dt>
	</dl>
	More text in between<p />
	<dl >
		<dt> </dt>
	</dl>

So I'm just confused now... why use a definition list to insert quotes
(indented paragraph), instead of <div>...</div>?

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr