[Pmwiki-users] Re: null characters or pattern breaking characters

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Jan 12 16:15:37 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:47:44AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13 January 2004 7:50 AM, Christian Ridderstr?m <chr at home.se> wrote:
> > But inspired from John's suggestion, how about using '`.` as markup for
> > the token though? The idea would be that it 'reminds' us of the 'STOP' in
> > telegrams...
>
> ===
> Christian, this also perhaps offers a better way to solve the : problem
> in [[toc:]] markup.
>
> [...discussion deleted for brevity...]
>
> Alternative: A possibly better approach would be to act only on
> instruction from the author.

An implementation suggestion:  If you're going to define a multi-character
sequence to indicate "non-rendering markup stop", then perhaps it'd make
implementations easier if early in PmWiki's processing the multi-character
sequence is converted into a single non-printing character before
any other processing takes place.  This would make it easier for regexps
to match everything up to the stop (as we've already noted, it's much
easier to exclude single characters than sequences of characters in regexps).
The non-printing characters could then be removed from the text just
prior to output.

Just a thought.