[Pmwiki-users] Another idea before bedtime...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jan 14 10:07:14 CST 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:35:26PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> I should emphasize that (these days ;-) I think that '\\' should be used
> as break-line markup only when it's at the end of a line.

Makes sense to me.

> We would then have these markup examples with corresponding results:
>
> 	* Start of line. \\\		* Start of long line
> 	New paragraph...
> 					  New paragraph...
>
> Where '\\\' was used for breaking and creating a new paragraph, i.e.
> inserting <P>.

Keep in mind it's not sufficient to just insert a <p>... XHTML requires
a closing </p> as well.  Consider:

      * Start of long line. \\\           * Start of long line.
      New paragraph...\\
      New line\\\                         New paragraph...
      New paragraph.                      New line

                                          New paragraph

In XHTML this has to be generated as

   <li>Start of long line.
        New line</p>

and finding the locations for the </p>'s can be a bit tricky.  In many
respects I'd like to eliminate the <p>'s from PmWiki's output entirely,
and just replace them with <br /><br /> so that I don't have to deal with
the containerization issues.