[Pmwiki-users] CSS layout in pmwiki-0.6

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Jan 22 14:24:38 CST 2004

First, my sincerest thanks to all who are sending back responses
about improving the default layout--your suggestions are
excellent and definitely helping to improve PmWiki.

Rather than reply to each message individually, I'm going to
try to combine my responses into a single message and
hope I can stay somewhat coherent...

I agree strongly with the concept that logically related
items should be grouped together...I was trying (somewhat
unsuccessfully) to achieve this in the layout.  Note that
the actual choice of links can change--I threw "WikiHelp"
into the mix just to provide a bit of balance in the display,
but I don't think it's really needed and could be eliminated
from the header/layout (indeed, has that page ever/yet
offered any really useful information?).  So, the only
site-wide or group-wide pieces of information that are
needed would be "RecentChanges" and the Search, and
RecentChanges could conceivably move into the title area
instead of the header area.

I've redone the layout based on this and would appreciate
more review/comments:  http://www.pmichaud.com/work/beta/pmwiki.php.

Other thoughts:

I don't like layouts where the logo occupies the left
margin by itself, reducing the space for the body.
By default I think the body should take up the available
width unless there is something else (such as a sidebar
or menu) occupying the left margin along with the logo.

Also, by default I think a logo should go in the upper-left-corner
of the display, as opposed to top center or within
the page content itself.  Logo in upper-left-corner is just
the common convention for web sites and I think there needs
to be a good reason to go against widely-held conventions.