[Pmwiki-users] CSS layout in pmwiki-0.6

Christian Ridderström chr
Fri Jan 23 08:15:07 CST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:36:32PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> >
> > I actually frequently go via that page to the documentation index :-)
> > But perhaps it'd be better in general for sites to have a help page that
> > covers both the site and has links for tips on how to edit etc
> > (e.g. PmWiki/WikiHelp could simply be included in that page).
>
> Indeed.  In fact, WikiHelp used to be in group 'Main' for just this reason.

How does that help? Or do you mean that it was more intended as a general
help page, rather than help for PmWiki?

> > My general impression is that the current layout is a bit too wasteful
> > with vertical space...  I'd like to keep the top stuff minimal
> > height-wise, because it'll always be there taking vertical area away from
> > you (so that you don't have to scroll more than you have to).
>
> I fully agree--I much prefer to conserve vertical space also.  Indeed,
> in Windows I keep my toolbar on the right-hand-side of the screen
> because vertical space is much more valuable to me than horizontal space.

If you mean the taskbar, I recommend the 'auto-hide'-function :-)
(I'd go nuts if I didn't have that)

> But I also feel that in general the page title needs to remain in the
> same box as the page contents (i.e., not in the page header), especially
> if there's a left sidebar involved.

Hmm.. I can see the logic of that, but at the same time I can feel that
the titles (group/page) should be at the top --- since they are titles.

> Looking at the page layouts of the commercial sites that I frequently
> visit (CNN, Wired, Google, Amazon, Weather.com, bbspot.com), they all
> tend to have headers that are 80-120 pixels in height *excluding* the
> page title.

I've taken snapshots of the headers of pmwiki, pmwiki-beta, wiki.lyx.org,
cnn, google and wired and put them here:

	http://www.md.kth.se/~chr/pmwiki/headers.png

You can find the source (GIMP) of the image here:
	http://www.md.kth.se/~chr/pmwiki/headers.xcf

Maybe we should put up some snapshots of headers (of wiki pages) somwhere
at pmichaud? So that it's easy to compare layout/style etc. As a
start, I've put the three first snapshots on this page
	http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki?pagename=Development.WikiHeaders

What I noticed most was that the original pmwiki is so slim (height-wise).

Oh, and I remembered that the reason for the vertical size of the header
at wiki.lyx.org is the size of the logo... I guess that may be an issue
for many sites, i.e. the logo affects the layout quite a bite.

(Sidenote: I should probably see if I can reduce the size of the lyx logo)

/Christian

--
Dr. Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44       http://www.md.kth.se/~chr