[Pmwiki-users] 0.6-beta -- possible change to search results

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Jan 26 14:05:13 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 09:49:09AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:

>    [[$Searchresults ...]]
>
> Now that this is a variable, does this make it easier to display a text
> snippet after each result showing the first reference to $Needle?
> [...]
> Or is this a step too far?

I actually hadn't considered displaying text snippets after the search
results yet, but it's a worthy consideration.  So let me just say
that at the moment it's a step farther than I want to take for the 0.6.0
release.  Also, rather than adding a parameter to [[$Searchresults]],
I'd probably just create a separate directive such as [[$Searchsnippets]].

Another consideration: in uploads one gets a list of available uploads
by doing [[$Attachlist]].  Should that have been [[attachlist:...]]
instead?

And to pre-empt the obvious question:  No, I really *don't* have a
good distinction in meanings/interpretation between the [[$Word]] and
[[word:...]] forms of directives.  Originally things such as
[[$Title]], [[$Group]], [[$Titlespaced]], [[$Groupspaced]], [[$Search]],
etc. were named by way of reference to their $...Fmt variable
equivalents, while [[noheader]], [[spacewikiwords]], and the like
tended to be "directives" that affected the overall page and didn't
produce any direct output.  But [[include:]] and [[$Attachlist]] might
not fit well into that model... :-(  Should we try for something
more consistent, or not bother?