[Pmwiki-users] Edit / Lock Pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Jan 27 09:48:53 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 09:02:40AM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 05:40:48PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> >
> > Sorry this page is being edited at the moment. Try again later.
>
> Displaying some text on the *edit* page would be a nice feature (while
> still allowing them to edit the page if they so choose). That way it's
> up to the WikiAuthor to decide if they want to risk clobbering someone
> else's changes.

...or having his changes clobbered, since the first person doing the
editing has no idea or indication that a potential conflict is taking
place.  Remember, it's the last person who *saves* (not the last person
who opens the edit page) that causes the conflict to appear.

> Perhaps.  I think this is one of those things that people worry about
> because it can happen, so you get alot of people talking about it, but
> in practice I think it happens rarely.  (heh, but we don't have a way
> of knowing do we? :-)

Sure we do! :-)  (1) take a look at the page revisions to see how often it
occurs (not often), and (2) take a look at the pmwiki-users archives, and
how few times people have said "this is *really* causing me lots of problems,
can we please get this fixed soon?"  Of course, it could just be that
people who know this will be a problem adopt some package other than PmWiki.