[Pmwiki-users] value for $Newline ?

Lloyd Budd lloyd
Thu Jan 29 13:59:05 CST 2004

On 29-Jan-04, at 14:42, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:23:53AM -0500, Lloyd Budd wrote:
>>
>> On 28-Jan-04, at 20:48, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:55:12AM -0500, Lloyd Budd wrote:
>>
>>> If it's the choice of newline token (?) that is the problem, you can
>>> change
>>> this to whatever you want by setting $Newline in local.php.
>>
>> I am guessing that it can be set as (almost) anything but a newline (
>> \n , '0x0a') and still function well.  Still, I wanted to test this,
>> but I am not sure what value to use for $Newline.
>
> Well, it can be anything but a newline, but you also want it to be
> something
> that won't occur in the markup text itself.
>
>> I looked at a copy of release notes that including  a description of
>> this
<<link removed>>
>> "\262"
>> $Newline="\276" (0xfe)
>> - is octal notation?  but 0xfe is o'376'
>
> Yeah, it was a typo in the message--the very next message issued
> a correction.  Amazing how these little mistakes can live to haunt me
> forever.  :-) :-)

Blame google ;-)  and by us including that link it only gets higher
rank ;-)

The solution you provided is good -- it has been I while since I did
anything with octal values.

Though since you (prev) asked:

> If it's the overall format of the files saved by PmWiki, give me an
> idea
> of what you'd like to see as an alternative and I'll look into it.  :-)

Ideally for me, it could be a newline which would require at least the
text attribute have a start and finish delimiter , but then it is a
slippery slope to SGML or XML with their own benefits and costs ;-)

Thank you,
Lloyd