[Pmwiki-users] Re: Isn't the left page a bit wide now?

Andres Yver yver
Fri Jan 30 06:16:07 CST 2004

Hi Jason,

Since a wiki is primarily about the text, it helps to set the width of
your text to a line length which encourages legibility. Somewhere
around 60-80 characters (depending on line height and margins around
the area to be read) seems to be good for people reading screens.
Since browser viewport width is a variable, we can try to design fluid
layouts that keep the content legible within the expected range of the
variable. One way to do this is to have the main content area width
vary within our legible range, and have flanking columns with other
content, like navigation or pull quotes, which can expand to fit the
remaining viewport area.

Andres