[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Autosave on Preview

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Jul 13 01:12:36 CDT 2004

On 13 Jul 2004, John Rankin wrote:

> How about 'Preview & Save as draft'

Sounds good to me.

> >> On normal browse viewing, the page title gains a <sup>*</sup>,
> >> indicating that this page has a draft associated with it.
> >> Clicking on the * shows a browse of the draft.

> Yup, the <a> ref will include title='View page draft'.

Good.

[snip]

> >> When browsing a draft, the page title loses the *, but the
> >> Edit Page* link keeps it. That might be a bit too subtle --
> >> perhaps there should be a 'draft' watermark behind the page
> >> text.
>
> Probably in the place that the * goes on normal browse view.

Should work, and it could be as simple as "(draft)" in red.

> >Maybe the '*' is more visible if we put it first?

I suggested the above because I thought that with a '*' after a long page
name, maybe it's easy to miss the '*'. Putting the '*' left of "Edit"
could be enough -- time will tell. Other than that, I like the look
below:

> >> Group                           Recent Changes
> >> Page Name*                                 ...
> >>                                     *Edit Page

Just to verify: Clicking '*Edit page' edits the draft?

> and clicking the * brings you to:
>
> >> Group                           Recent Changes
> >> Page Name Draft                            ...
> >>                                     *Edit Page

I might perfer "Page Name (draft)", or "Draft of Page Name", but now I'm
into really minor things. Should we have a link to get back to regular
version somewhere here?

> and possibly (see below) clicking the Draft deletes the draft version;
> or, clicking Draft /edits/ the draft and *Edit Page becomes Delete Draft

I don't understand... maybe I will as a I read on.

> >I think password requirements should be same as for read/edit.
>
> We should be able to support the following:
> - to prevent unauthorised viewing of a draft, set a read
>   password for the 'draft' action

Agreed. $password['draft:read'] = ...

> - to prevent unauthorised saving of a draft, set an edit
>   password for the edit and post action

Do you mean saving a modified version of a draft, or saving the draft as
the regular page?

> So in theory, we should be able to let anyone edit, but only
> those with a password can save.

Now I think you mean 'Save draft as regular page'. Maybe we should refer
to this as 'comit page'? Or does 'comit' sound to scary/serious? An
alternative could be 'publish page' or 'release page'.

> >Nah... you mean something like "Delete draft", right?

Some other alternatives: "Discard draft" or "Clear draft"

> Yup -- still not sure the best way to show this. I don't
> particularly like putting Delete where Edit normally goes (above).
> Muscle memory will cause people to delete when they mean to edit
> and there's no way back.

I'm not following you here... the "discard draft" function should be
accessed from the edit page, so what 'Edit' would this be?

> >I have the feeing that we're missing something here, but I can't put my
> >finger on it right now... oh well, I'll just send this now. Perhaps it's
> >about conflicts when two persons are working simultaneously the
> >draft?
>
> Not supported for a 1.0 local customisation. I thought about giving
> people the option to Edit Draft or Edit Original, but it just got too
> confusing. I think writers ought to make a conscious decision to delete
> a draft, rather than have it happen as a side-effect of editing the
> original.

Um.. not that I argue with you about user confusion, but why does the
draft have to be discarded just because you edit the original page?

> >Maybe it'd be best to implement it and see how it works?
> >
> I'll see what I can come up with.

Great! I think we need to actually try it out to get a feel for what works
and what doesn't.  That reminds me... are there any other wikis that
support drafts?  Or branches for that matter?

/Christian