[Pmwiki-users] link icons

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Thu Jul 22 07:44:37 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:23:12AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Is it necessarily true that *any* punctuation mark is bad?  How about
> angle quotes, like ?this??  (These are « and », or we could
> use <<this>> for people w/o Latin-compatible fonts.)

Guillemets or an ascii look-alikes would be fine with me.  But the ?
does have some mnemonic value.  What about doubled ? as delimiter?
i.e.,  This is a ??big long link here?? that needs to be edited.
Throw in the "natural" underline that goes with links and it's bound
to be clicked upon :)

Oh, and I don't think that the link itself has to indicate some
action (like people who put [Create] instead of ? for unedited links)
as long as the page they are taken to has enough information for them
to figure out what to do.  Even adding "you have clicked on a link for
a page that currently does not exist, please edit the page so that it
may be created" or somesuch to the top of the edit page would be okay.

> Yes, I know they're
> used as "real" punctuation in many non-English languages; OTOH, I'm not
> sure that using them in this manner is entirely incorrect or disturbing
> to someone reading the text.  ?this? would also give an advantage over
> 'this?' as one could easily see the entire link phrase associated with
> the link (e.g., if the link phrase contains spaces).

Indeed.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff