[Pmwiki-users] Re: About sample-config.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jul 28 17:33:14 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 06:57:13PM -0400, Kass Lloyd wrote:
> is the sample-config.php even executed? all the defaults are in
> pmwiki.php. My understanding is that it is a sample intended to guide
> you in createing your own config.php. Its not executed?

Normally sample-config.php is not executed, but Christian's
question aims more towards the "what should happen if someone
does execute it?"  See, for example, http://www.pmichaud.com/work/pmwiki-sc
which is a fresh unpacking of the pmwiki tarball.  As it stands
now, someone can directly execute the sample-config.php script
by clicking on "sample-config.php" or by using the URL
http://www.pmichaud.com/work/pmwiki-sc/sample-config.php .

Of course, since the sample-config.php file doesn't do anything more than
set a few variables, the browser just receives an empty page.

Which brings us back to the original question.  My feeling is that
sample-config.php is exactly that--to give non-PHP people a sample of
what a config.php can look like.  The simpler this file is, the better.
As long as executing the file doesn't pose any damage, I think I prefer
to leave it the way it is now (but add more configuration examples).