[Pmwiki-users] action=source ignored; PmWiki "macros" and [[include:]]

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Jun 3 10:00:11 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:07:49AM -0500, Jesse Jacobsen wrote:
> Dear PmWiki-users,
>
> 2.  On the site above, I'm experimenting with using [[include:...]]s as
> a kind of macro simplification for nicer repetition of some uglier
> AdvancedTables code.  [...]  Is this an intended application, or is there a
> better way to do macro substitution in PmWiki?

Indeed, this is one of the original intents of the [[include:]]
markup.

> The [[include:page#from#to]] idea (especially some of
> the things I read on the list archives) comes close, but it seems that
> the current implementation forces the "macro" call to know either the
> length of the included piece or the next anchor name on the included
> page.

Indeed, this is why we were originally playing with the idea of an
[[include:page#from#to]] syntax where the "to" specifier could somehow
indicate "to the next anchor, whatever it happens to be".  I don't
remember if we ended up with a useful markup syntax that would
work for this.  If we come up with one, I can probably implement
it.