[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki development

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Jun 6 19:59:48 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 01:29:13PM +1200, Britta wrote:
> It's these I don't quite get:
>
> [[Animals.Dogs.Rin Tin Tin]]    Animals.Dogs.Rin Tin Tin?
> [[Animals.Dogs/Rin Tin Tin]]    Rin Tin Tin?
> [[Animals/Dogs/Rin Tin Tin]]    Rin Tin Tin?
> [[Animals/Dogs.Rin Tin Tin]]    Dogs.Rin Tin Tin?
>
> The group specification in the URL looks like this:
> /AnimalsDogs/RinTinTin
>
> ... is that as it should be?

Yes, sorta.  I'm leaving open the possibility for nested groups in
a future version, but it may disappear soon simply because it
can be so confusing.  On the page you saw I was just experimenting
(part of being a development version).

At the moment, everything before a slash or dot is treated as
part of the group name, thus Animals.Dogs.RinTinTin links to
AnimalsDogs.RinTinTin.  In addition, anything before a slash
is not displayed on output, thus Animals/Dogs.RinTinTin
displays as "Dogs.RinTinTin" and Animals.Dogs/RinTinTin displays
as "RinTinTin".

But don't plan on this being around long, especially if it's
too confusing.  :-)

> Am I right that you can only ever produce a two-levels deep group/page
> structure in pmwiki? i.e.: /Animals/Dogs/pagename is not possible?

Right, I'm just experimenting with possibilities for nested groups,
but I'm still not fond of the idea.  I still haven't seen an instance
where it's really needed or useful (although I'm looking into the
stuff that Jason Perkins wrote about a few days ago).