[Pmwiki-users] Re: Pmwiki new version

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Jun 8 17:01:27 CDT 2004

On Tuesday, 8 June 2004 10:24 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>>    4.  I  feel  the  choice  of  double  brackets for  links  is  perhaps
>>    unfortunate (ugly).
>
>I chose this for a wide variety of reasons, including compatibility
>with other wiki engines.  However, it's *very* customizable, and
>designed to be able to emulate the markups used by other engines.
>So, what would you prefer to see instead?  ;-)
>
>Pm

1. http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ChoosingGoodMarkup describes
   the criteria, although there are others not mentioned, eg
   - easy to type
   - easy to learn / remember
   - unobtrusive and readable in the edit box

   There appear to be 3 main criteria
   - don't frighten away new authors
   - avoid sequences that can occur in "normal" text
   - borrow from other popular wikis

2. there has been a lot of discussion about choice of link markup;
   I think a LinkSyntaxRationale page attached to
   http://www.pmwiki.org/devel/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/LinkSyntax
   would help: list the 'good markup' criteria, show their relative
   importance, and how well the link markup fits (or doesn't fit).

   I reckon the proposed markup scores 82%, see
   http://www.pmwiki.org/devel/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/LinkSyntaxRationale
   (others may score it differently)

   any alternative markup ought to have a clearly better fit
   to the criteria than the existing one, otherwise why change

3. I'm less convinced by the directives markup [: ... :]
   http://www.pmwiki.org/devel/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/Directives
   for the following reasons:
   - it looks like an inline markup ([+...+], [=...=] and so on)
   - it might be needed for a future inline markup (although
     i can't think what for right now)
   - it's a bit awkward to type

   I propose the following alternative
     [directive parameters] eg
     [title text]
     [noheader]

   This seems to me more consistent with the {$Value} markup.
   Because there is always a directive word, the [...] markup
   won't be confused with normal text.

--
JR