[Pmwiki-users] Re: Pmwiki new version

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Jun 8 19:09:58 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:22:22AM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:

> I stumbled over this too. My idea was that {$Value} and [: :] directives
> belong in the same "category": PmWiki settings or directives.

Again, a very reasonable point.  The sticking point for me on this
has been something like [:title this is my page title:] versus
{$Title}, where the first is used to set a page's display title
while the second actually displays it.  Having both [:$Title:]
and [:title ...:] seems to me to invite confusion.

I was thinking of {$Keyword} as always being something that
substitutes a simple page value or property at the current location.

> My idea was to use {directive parameters} (perhaps double the {{ }} as
> most wiki tags are double-chars?) because the [ ] will focus on links in
> the next major version?

For compatibility issues, I'd rather reserve the {{...}} to be a
PmWiki-0.6 form of free-links, at least for the time being.  After
a suitable transition period we might be able to redefine {{...}}
for other purposes, but I'd like to leave it alone for now.

Also, {directive parameters} strikes me as looking too much like something
that *is* inline text, and I think a directive probably should stand out
from the text somehow.  Indeed, the inline-ness of {...} is what led
me to choose it for {$Name}, {$Group}, etc.

I also think {$...} looks better when nested in other markup, as in

  [[{$PageName}?action=edit | Edit this page]]
  [:search {$Group}/ text:]  search all pages in the current group for "text"
  [:include OtherGroup/{$Name}:]  include a same-named page from OtherGroup