finding backlinks (was: [Pmwiki-users] Organization of pages (was: Hierarchical groups))

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Mon Jun 14 07:37:56 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:44:37AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Well, this concept actually derives from categories in the original
> wiki, where there was no grouping mechanism.  Essentially, the idea
> was that each page could indicate its membership in a category
> by adding "CategorySomething" into the page.  Then, to find all of
> the pages in the category, one simply did a search for "CategorySomething".
>
> This is useful for being able to find related pages, but doesn't
> really work in terms of partitioning the page name space (which is the
> problem I encountered in my original wikis) or in being able to set
> passwords/group headers.

While reading this a feature request crawls back into my mind. It would
be nice to have a "list pages that link to this page" feature or
similar. By now it's hard, because you can use many different ways to
link to a page, so a simple search won't return all the pages.

I guess this will be a ressource eating beast, but perhaps it could be
done with a "backlink" index that get's refreshes every X minutes or
similar.

     Balu